Sunday, October 21, 2012

Going Vegan



The most surprising personal evolution is happening...to me.  A revolution?  About 6 years ago I woke up one morning and quit smoking, which I adored; I mean I loved to smoke. Boom. Quit. Just like that. Then I embarked on my lifestyle of 'Jollitude' which you may or may not have read on my blog coupled with some other 'life alterations' along the way.  

In the last few months a number of key things have occurred.  I watched Food Inc. and listened to Dr. Fuhrman on Dr. Oz.  I viewed some interviews with Ellen about her thoughts on Earthlings. I hopped online and dug around a bit about healthy eating styles.  G-Bombs! (look it up!) Then last week at a wedding shoot I listened intently to one of the guests I was photographing.  She glowed. She seems so happy and free from stress. She spoke of her recent marathon experience (don't start laughing...I won't be running - I am a forever walker) and her journey with smart food selections. She got my wheels turning and introduced me to Dr. McDougall.  Thank you Sandi!

The moment my teeny library opened on Tuesday morning, I skipped in looking for any book on the subject.
I found two. The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone and Veganist by Kathy Freston.  Amazing!

So here I am slowly becoming a Vegan and so far, having a blast. I do want to share with you that my decision was based purely on a chance for better health and not on animal rights or the environment. What I have learned in the last week has tweaked that tremendously. Now these issues are moving more and more front and center.  I think all of us benefit from knowledge. I am learning and I have weaknesses. I love cheese and sour cream and yogurt, so giving up dairy will be my biggest achievement. For goodness sake, cake is my favorite food group. Will I give in to temptations? Of course. 

Stay tuned! 

Did you know the average human farts 14 times a day? Yup. Alicia wrote it. I read it. 


PFXO


Patti Friday, Photojourno, reporting from inside 'The Art Dept.' at the international 'Embassy of Ideas'.

3 comments:

Karin said...

It's almost the same that happened to me. I quit smoking seven years ago from one minute to the other. Since April I live vegetarian and two days the week vegan. I just stopped eating meat without any dogma and I feel fine.
Greetings from Germany, Karin

Patti Friday said...

Karin! How amazing to have someone across the ocean who shares a similar experience! Thank you for stopping by!

Unknown said...

I just watched Forks over Knives last night and am currently scouring the internet for ways to become a vegan! I have 2 little boys and a husband who are meat LOVERS but even my husband was looking up vegan cookbooks. I like the idea of being a vegetarian but a vegan 2 days a week... that would be a great way to keep what you love but be healthy about it! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...